Friday 18 April 2014

Rant Session: False Assumptions and Gender Discrimination

Photo from www.layoutsparks.com

So far, I haven't had much progress with this blog. I'm not too worried. I need to put a little bit more effort to actually attract some audience. Anyway, this is the first non-makeup related post I'm making. This entry doesn't necessarily bear any relevance. I just need to get things out there for a change, if you get what I mean.

Most of you obviously don't know me yet. Well, I'll let you in on one thing. I'm not exactly the girliest girl you would encounter in this world. Sure, I do makeup and stuff like that. Actually, I have a face full of makeup most of the time. However, you would typically see me wearing boy's graphic tees, jeans, my battered Converse shoes, and my favourite beanie. You wouldn't see me wearing frilly dresses, headband, and ribbons. I seldom paint my nails. If I do, they're always black. You wouldn't see me with fancy braided hair. [Well, I don't have enough hair to braid, anyway.] As a matter of fact, I'm too uninterested in fixing up my hair, I cut it so short that I haven't combed it in months. Yeah. That's me.

Some people thing I'm just too sloppy and lazy to look after myself. It has nothing to do with my habits. In fact, I'm a bit OC about myself. I am far from sloppy. I take time to cleanse myself until I'm practically glowing. The only difference you could point out is that I typically use men's shampoo, if not, then a unisex one. [Yes. In our modern society, even shampoo is gender exclusive. Can't a woman enjoy the fresh, clean scent of a man's shampoo? Can't a man enjoy the fun scents of women's conditioner? Why do women get to have all the fun with scents?] Aside from that, I dress up properly and I make sure that I am presentable to polite society. My hair? Don't judge me. Seriously, why comb it? First of all, it wouldn't make a difference even if I did. Second, umm, didn't I just mention I always wear a beanie? So, why should I bother? So, that's false assumption #1: If she doesn't showcase any "normal" girl habits, she is sloppy and lazy.

Another thing about me, I always hang out with guys. Why? One, they are fun. Two, they remind me of my brother (I'm pretty close with my big bro). Three, boys have less drama. I never really found joy in the company of women. Now, now, calm down, my fellow women. I'm not judging you. However, let's face it, girls. Girl friends and female BFFs are best for those "sensitive" or "private" moments. It feels a lot more comfortable to cry on the shoulder of you best girl friend rather than open up to a guy. Guys, we're not saying you're insensitive. However, women just have a certain...well, "women's touch". The point is, there aren't any limitations, really. It is just a matter of personal preference. So, if you can count on people of your own gender, the, why not with your opposite? If you prefer crying on a guy's shoulder and wresting with your pretty bestie, then, so be it! Nobody should judge. Go with what makes you feel comfortable. My previous examples were just based on general majority of scenarios. [Seriously, though. Guys, I wouldn't mind crying on your shoulders. As long as you don't hit me for drenching your shirt.]

In my case, just because I hang out with guys most of the time, I get all these negative comments from people. That leads me to false assumptions #2 and #3. F.A.#2: If a woman surrounds herself with guys, she's an attention seeking flirt. F.A.#3: If a woman surrounds herself with guys and acts like she's one of them, she's either a tomboy or a lesbian. People, please. Boys are fun! They are my bros for life! [R, M, J, and A, you guys know who you are. I miss you guys. :P ]

Now, this one is my personal favourite. (*ahem*sarcasm*ahem*) False Assumption #4: If a woman does things that guys do, she has no class, no manners, no self-control, probably gender-confused, and most of all, a disgrace and a disappointment to the women in society. *sniff* Why are the people of society so mean? :'( Anyway, regarding this point, I am just deeply saddened by this. Nowadays, women are given empowerment. Women are now encouraged to live independently. Why? Well, women are not useless creatures. We are not trying to out-perform males or anything like that. Guys, don't you like a little helping hand? Admit it, it's unfair to keep doing all the work, right? Right.

On a personal note, I am really offended by this discrimination. I get the point. I don't dress in a feminine manner. I don't act "lady-like" [but I'm not trashy or wild! I just don't have those typical mannerisms associated with females]. I also don't have a girly laugh. [Seriously, must we make laughs gender exclusive, too?] I have interests in hobbies associated with males. I have male-ish habits. [I want to try archery. I want to take up Game Development. I would parkour if I could. I'm on my way to learning how to ride a skateboard. I don't know how to make friendship bracelets. I'm not the best cook, so don't expect to find me in the kitchen. I'm pretty much clueless with chores. I play the guitar. I don't know how to play a violin or the piano. I know how to do a tie for a suit. I get overwhelmed by the type of clothes women have. I use men's fragrances. I would take you down and wrestle you just because that's always fun. I tease people a lot. I don't get hurt when someone teases me. Blue is just blue to me, it only varies from light blue, blue, to dark blue. I don't know the difference between Ocean blue and Water Blue. I could go on forever about this, but I'll spare you from my boring life facts.]

Basically, all I'm trying to say is that not everything has to be gender exclusive. Leave that to the factor of using tampons and other unmentionable apparatus. Iykwim. The rest of the stuff? Let's not complicate things. Let's just have Anti-dandruff shampoo. Let's take away the For Men, For Women concept. Society thinks that a concealer that says "For Men" is automatically not "gay". People, it's still a concealer. It conceals. Whether it says "For Men" or not, it is never gay. Also, even if someone is gay, that shouldn't be a problem. [I won't rant about gay concepts. Yet. I don't want to make this post into a novel. Yet. :P] And girls, go on. Wear your boyfriend's Rolex watch. [You know you want to.] It's not "unlady-like" to wear it. It's a watch. It tells you the time. Wear it. It's fabulous.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this issue. I'm not going to judge your opinions. To each his own. That's what I'm trying to point out, right? Freedom? Liberty? Acceptance? Yeah. That's why I'm encouraging everyone in society to just embrace change. If you have nothing good to say to somebody, keep your words to yourself. You wouldn't gain anything from hurting somebody else's feelings. So, the next time you see a girl riding a skateboard or a guy who dyes his hair, don't jump to conclusions and make false assumptions. No matter what you think they are, there is only one fact that remains true: They are humans, just like you. [Or maybe not. Aliens are among us. :P]



So, that's it for my rant. Obviously, you didn't enjoy that. So, thanks for dropping by.







No comments:

Post a Comment